On Sunday the 18th of March, between 10am and 2.30pm, Life Flight Trust are opening their doors for people of all ages to come and visit. The open day will be at 17 George Bolt Street, Rongotai, Wellington.
For those who do not know, Life Flight is a charitable organisation that provides free emergency air services. This annual event is being held to say ‘thank you’ to donors at the Air Rescue Centre. If you go you’ll have a chance to WIN a flight in the Westpac Rescue Helicopter!
There will be great family friendly entertainment throughout the whole day, including:
- Unique rescue-themed scavenger hunt developed by Escape Mate
- Live music by the Royal New Zealand Air Force Band and Tiana So’oialo
- The Hits Kids’ costume contest
- Little Driver mini jeeps
- Westpac Kid Zone
- Paper plane throwing contest
- Food from Cafe L’affare, Antojitos, The Beat and others
- Spot prizes, exciting raffles, and more!
The Westpac Helicopters won’t be the only thing on display; there will be emergency service demonstrations from all of the following:
- Life Flight Air Ambulance Plane
- Aviation Security
- Land Search and Rescue (SAR)
- NZ Blood
- NZ Customs Detector Dogs
- NZ Defence Force
- NZ Fire Service
- NZ Police
- Wellington Emergency Response Team
- Wellington Free Ambulance
Kids are being encouraged to dress up in a costume of their favourite emergency service professional. Parents are asked to give a five dollar donation but kids can come free of charge.
Life Flight receives all of its funding from donations, so your support is greatly appreciated. They cover the entirety of New Zealand. Unsurprisingly, it’s an expensive operation to run. It costs around $2,500 to rescue someone and their plane averages four emergency flights a day. They’ve been around for fifty years now and yet we seem to take them for granted. They’re a brilliant organisation that need your help, and attending this open day is a way that you can do just that. So if you’re up for a day of family friendly fun, whilst being able to support a worthy organisation, make sure to attend this event!